stands for Hypertext Markup Language. It was invented in 1992 by Tim Berners-Lee and till date, it still serves its purpose as the standard markup language for displaying web contents. This simply translates to meaning that no website really do exists yet without HTML.
By definition, HTML is the standard markup language of the web used in defining the structure of a website and displaying the contents in it. To achieve this, HTML uses what are called HTML tags
to basically define how a webpage should be structured or look like and display contents such as text, images, videos, audios and etcetera. Therefore, a website can't display an image without HTML.
FEATURES OF HTML
Tim Berners-Lee - Invented HTML in 1992
- It is very easy to learn.
- Does not need any installations from you to run. Browsers handle that.
- HTML is a client side language because its interpretation lies with the client's or web visitor's browser and not the server/computer where your website lives. This is also why you will learn in this tutorial that some elements are supported in some browsers while others do not support such elements.
- It is the standard markup language of the web. All websites uses it to present their web content.
- HTML uses tags to define a web page's structure and contents.
- All HTML documents must end with a .html extension.
- It is the basic language every web developer must know.
- It is not a programming language.
In this tutorial, you will learn all you need to get started with using HTML or HTML5 in creating your own webpages that can be hosted on the world wide web (internet).
- HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language.
- It was invented by Tim Berners-Lee in 1992.
- It is not a programming language rather a markup language used in displaying what other web programming language might have process or made available.
- HTML displays a website's content using what are called HTML tags.
- Browsers understands these tags and can therefore interpret them when a webpage is viewed.
- These tags are used in creating elements in a webpage. Elements are the individual parts that make up a website's structure or appearance like paragraphs, headings, buttons, images and etcetera.
- This tutorial will introduce you to all that are enough for you to start using HTML tags to build website's elements.